Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Personal Encounter With God - Trusting

I believe in God's omnipresence. We all have encounters with God in our daily lives. He ministers to each and everyone of our hearts using people, and things. Hopefully we are able to recognize these moments and indulge in them, for His presence is sweet in whatever shape or form He decides to reveal himself to you.

I have had three very personal encounters with God in my lifetime where He has had to intervene personally.  He spoke into my heart in such a way that I know, that I know, that I know, that it was only God. 

This blog is about one of my 'twelve stones', my very first personal encounter with El Roi - The God Who Sees Me. 

A little background:
The seed of salvation was planted in my heart many years ago as a child by an aunt of mine. I recall she and her husband picking up my cousins and I and bringing us to sunday school, and to tuesday and friday night church services. I was about five years old when they started bringing me to church and the memories are joyous. At around eleven years of age, my aunt and husband decided to move back to their birthplace. I no longer had a way to get to church and so the plant that was being watered began to wither away and dry...

Several years later, as an adult, God used my mother in-law to bring me back. I was twenty-nine at the time of my reconciliation. 

Along with accepting Christ as my Savior, I entered one of three major battles in my life. There began a tug of war. The old creature vs. the new.

I often stood in the bathroom fully dressed staring in the mirror trying to convince myself to go to church. Some days the battle would begin in the bed. I  sat in church often in doubt and at the same time in belief. In constant turmoil, crying and not understanding why I was crying.. 

The battle went on for a few months. Until I received a forwarded email from a close friend that brought doubt to God and His existence. A blessing in disguise. A blessing because it led me to call out to God for the first time in my life. I didn't call out to him with a fancy prayer, but I called out to Him with an honest heart. Right there laying in my bed with thoughts that were tormenting me I simply said 'God I need to know that You are real.. How can I know that You are who they are saying You are?' 

God gently nudge me up in the middle of the night and the only thought that ran repeatedly through my head was Proverbs 3:5. I had no clue what Proverbs 3:5 read. The only time my bible was opened was during sunday service. I told myself I will look it up in the morning, and tried to get back to sleep, but was unsuccessful.  Proverbs 3:5 just kept repeating in my thoughts.. After about an hour of this I finally decided that I will not rest until I looked it up.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 

Right at that moment I was brought to my knees in total praise! He was there in my room next to me when I called out to him and He answered me, He answered me! 'Trust Me' He said, 'Trust Me. You will not understand many things but Trust Me. I AM who I say I AM'. 

You call, God answers! Jeremiah 33:3 says 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’ 

From that very moment on, my life has never been the same. I am a person who dislikes change, and so you can imagine that much of my battles revolve around change, because that's what God does. He transforms. He is constantly molding me. But In all my battles I am now fully equipped. Because I know, that I know, that I know that, He is The Great I Am, that He is Lord of Host! I no longer try to  fight my battles alone, for I know that God is with me and He fights for me!

Father, 
I come boldly before Your throne, acknowledging that You are indeed who You say You are! Confessing that You are The Great I AM!  That you are El Roi - The God Who Sees Me! I thank you El Kanna, for your relentless pursuit  of me! I lift up every brother and sister out there with doubt of who You are in prayer. Asking Father that you meet them exactly where they are. That they put their trust in You Lord, and not on the worldly things they see! Father give them spiritual eyes so they can see you clearly, give them a personal encounter with You the Living God, so all who knows them will see You!
In your precious name, Jesus, Amen



4 comments:

  1. This is an awesome testimony. Thank you for sharing your personal encounter with God. So many get the nudge, but do not recognize from who it came. Hopefully, by sharing your message, others who have had the same nudge will now recognize who the nudge came from and what they should do next. Looking forward to the next one. May God bless you and the work that you are doing in the kingdom.

    Blessings,
    KW

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful testimony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Ali. Thank you for sharing. I very much recognise myself in a lot of what you say. If only more people could recognise the whisper of God in their hearts.
    -John

    ReplyDelete

A Loving Reminder: Keep Going

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destr...